BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In the early centuries cooperative societies have been in existence This is to say that they started even before the creation of the Earth. There was cooperation between the holy spirits or trimly ( that is God the father God the son and God the holy spirit) which led to the achievement of the creation of the world. This was as a result of certain factors.
In addition at the time of the stone age men and the wonders there was need for cooperation. This occurred at the agricultural sector through it was limited within families. After some time things begins to improved and it came a time when there was communal farming system. This occurred because of certain factors and because there is need for it.
Further more countries began to relate in businesses exchanging goods and services from one country to another or from one state to among countries. Certain factors gave rise to that because there is need for it. That is to say that nothing achieving can come into existence without needs for it or without needs for it or without certain factors which must have led to it indeed these factors leading to cooperation among people states. Countries and the world at large are not for fetch but are those desires that needs to be satisfied or measured. These factors as put under this introductory section can be either positive or negative.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE FACTORS
As indicated earlier the factors that can influence the establishment of cooperatives can either be positive or negative. These factors as well differs from state to state country to country etc. But the most important is the type of cooperative or its members involved in its operations.
In recent times a lot of persons and scholars have tried to talk on the factors that can influence the establishment of cooperates. This is because slot of people and to their own understanding has failed to understand what these factors are .rather they often mistake it for motives. So to say these worlds are two different things altogether. At the later side of this project the difference between factors and motives well be talked on.
However in Owerri L.G.A Imo state there are a lot of factors that can influence cooperative establishment. According to Mr L.M. Ejwnye (principal register of cooperatives Imo state) he said that the factors that influence cooperative establishment in Owerri L.G.A Imo state .
In essence this factors are those things needs or desires or even set back that has led to identifications of needs there by organizing together for the purpose of establishment.
Despite these factors that has led to the establishment of cooperatives a lot of these cooperative society still fails and closes up and this occurs as a result of certain factors as well.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This academic exercise is meant to appraise the feasibility of the factors that can influence the establishment of cooperatives and the socio-economic standard of cooperatives member and its society at large in Owerri L.G.A Imo state. These factors are as follow;
- To know how these factors has helped cooperatives its members and generally the public at large.
- To know how these factors have led to the establishment of cooperatives in Owerri L.G.A.
- To know the number of cooperatives that has failed in Owerri L.G.A.
- To ascertain the number of cooperatives that are still in existence in Owerri L.G.A Imo state.
- To ascertain the achievement of cooperatives in the economy of Owerri L.G.A, Imo state.
- To bring foreword how much cooperatives has helped to reduce unemployment in Owerri L.G.A, Imo state
- To find on the problems militating against the establishment of cooperatives in Owerri L.G.A, Imo state.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Cooperatives have done a lot in the development of many countries or nations. In countries like Krael, Denmark, Sweden, India, Britain etc. cooperatives has played vital role in sectors like manufacturing distributions and even consummation.
At the end of this research many people will find out the importance of cooperatives to human existence. This involves the above mentioned;
- The government both the federal state and local government.
- The society in general
- The cooperative section and
- The general academics
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
- What are the factors that can influence the establishment of cooperatives in Imo state ?
- In what ways can these factors really influence the establishment of cooperatives in Imo state?
- Are these f actors negative or positive
- What are those negative factors that can influence the establishment of cooperative in Imo state?
- As a result of these factors, how many cooperatives are viable in Imo state
- What are the likely causes that has led to their failure?
1.5 SCOPE OF STUDY
The study covers the extent of those factors that can influence the establishment of cooperative society in Imo state . It went further discussing the importance or objectives of the cooperatives in Imo state. Also the factors that led leads to their failure.
Further more the study covers an extent of cooperative that are viable and non viable societies in Imo state.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
A lot of circumstances dismounted the extent of this research. One of the major circumstance is time which restricted the researchers from collecting and gathering materials from cooperative department (or in Road secretariat) Imo state. There was no time to collect other questionnaires sent out.
Secondly finance was another constraint that restricted movement from various cooperative offices.
Thirdly protocols in getting the right source to feed the researcher with useful information and details. I was striated from one area office to the other and from one zonal office to another and finally to the head quarters of cooperative department.